Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Gymming!

So my physiotherapy has started and oh my god I did not know how completely out of shape I was until my first day of gym/physiotherapy. I mean yeah I can run for as long as I want (I cap out at 76 minutes when there is no knee pain but that's relatively good right?) but I have never paid attention to my shoulders, my core and my hands.

BIG MISTAKE!

Turns out runners in general tend to tighten their muscles because of all that running and because of that it's imperative that we "service" our entire bodies the way we service say our cars. My physiotherapist/trainer said that when you go running, it's not just your legs that are invited to party but also your hands, your arms and most importantly your core.

So in the last couple of days I have been made to do a TON of stretches (the ones focussing on my right thigh just about kill me) and doing a lot of exercises that focus on the arms and back and of course my stomach.

What's weird is that I have lost weight. Hear me out. It's not like I am a supermodel but my body has sorta settled down to its weight recently.

(Diverging but need to give my history - I put on a lot of weight early last year and in June 2012 I decided to take matters into my own hands and take up running again the way I used to when I was a teenager. Lost weight but hurt my knee and we are where we are right now).

In the last seven months I have gone from 132 pounds to 123 (last week) on my frame of 5'4. I have lost about four kilograms which is not bad. I have what you would call a totally average body shape. It's not skinny but am not fat either. And lately (although it does goes down when the stress goes up), my weight has settled between 125-123 pounds totally and I am fine with it. As long as I am fit and running, I am fine with my weight and I refuse to lose starve myself to fit someone else's ideal weight. (Also, how stupid is it to starve yourself when you should be adding up on the nutrients and the carbs to have enough energy to run? )

But in the past couple of days I have noticed that despite everything my weight has gone down by a bit and is threatening to do more than that in the weeks to come. But what's got my really happy is that my arms are slowly toning up and my core is getting streamlined. Once again I am not skinny but I can feel myself getting stronger and what I love about my gym is that no time during this week did any of the trainers say - "hey let's check your weight and see how much you have to lose". I would have lost it had it happened. My BMI is fine and I am fine the way I am. I want to get more fit and my goal is not weight loss and my doctor and the gym understand that. Which is why I am even more hopeful than ever that my dreams of running a marathon are not too far away!

P.S I know my last post was terribly depressing but I think one has to be honest about their own doubts and pitfalls and accept that life is not always about overcoming adversity but also admitting that  yeah...sometimes, shit happens. Happy running everyone and remember cross training is so important if you want to be a serious runner!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Bangalore, Karnataka, India
I am a human being based in Bangalore. I have worked for the New Indian Express and DNA and working in the communications industry. I love music, books, movies and TV shows . I LOVE to run. It's my passion and hobby. But it became a serious love only this year. And my list of priorities are - Arsenal football club and then breathing.