Friday, June 7, 2013

Running without pain is heavenly

Today was the first day in months I was able to run over 30 minutes and boast no pain at the end of it. Am not saying I am cured or that my knee pain will never be an issue ever again (oh how I wish that were true) because obviously this is a long road but it felt amazing to run 31 minutes on the treadmill and clock just over 4km.

I could have run more but then I didn't want to tempt the running gods. But I keep thinking what a difference a week in my life has made. Last week before the therapy had begun I was running but was in such pain that if I ran 25 minutes, the rest of the day and a half would have been a nightmare. This week I felt like I could keep on running. So what's different?

Warming up!
I warmed up well in advance. Before my actual run I walked from my home to the gym at a brisk pace for about 7 minutes. This meant that when I stretched before the run, my muscles were warm and ready to listen to my commands.

Be in the moment
I was very aware of the rhythm of my legs. While I was still hooked onto my music system, I also knew that I was putting more or less equal pressure on my right leg and my left leg. The thumping sound was even and I was not dragging one over the other. My right knee was very thankful today that I didn't ask the poor thing to take all the weight.

Core action
Here's something you can all do if you aren't doing it anyway. Make sure your arms and your stomach also come for the run. What do I mean when I say that? Well I have learnt that posture is everything, so I pull my core and straighten my back when I go for a run these days. And as for my arms, I keep them bent and close to my stomach and I move my arms side to side.

So these are the things I have learnt so far. My next goal is to push for 40 minutes and see where it takes me. Happy running :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Bangalore, Karnataka, India
I am a human being based in Bangalore. I have worked for the New Indian Express and DNA and working in the communications industry. I love music, books, movies and TV shows . I LOVE to run. It's my passion and hobby. But it became a serious love only this year. And my list of priorities are - Arsenal football club and then breathing.