Thursday, June 27, 2013

Running on a 11k budget

This morning I woke up at 6.30am with minimum fuss and decided that it was time to scale up beyond 10k. The reasoning behind this is the fact I am running 10k on July 7th and have done that distance or similar distances quite a few times but I have never gone beyond it. So I thought if I logged in a couple of 11 and 13 ks before the run, my body would get acclimatised to not only running 10k easily but also prepare itself half marathon in September.

Side note: The registrations for Kaveri Trail Marathon are up! http://www.kaveritrailmarathon.com/. It's happening on September 14th (10k) and 15th (half and full marathons). I will be running the half marathon depending on my knee sitch. Either way I am running it :P You can register till mid August so there is some time left!

Anyway I was determined to avoid the mistakes I made during my 9k run earlier last week. This morning I woke up and ate an entire banana a good half hour before my run. I took my water bottle with me and it looked rather ideal.

To be honest it rather was for the first half hour but around the 7k mark my knee started aching. Like shooting pain. So I stopped and stretched my leg out for a bit and I realised I could easily keep going. My wall hit me the second I crossed the 8.8k mark. I immediately felt drained but I figured I had already completed so much might as well go the distance. That last 1k was weird. Because I stopped for a few minutes after 10k and stretched a bit but when I started running again both my knees and my legs felt like they were on fire for about 15 seconds and then it became alright again. This muscle strain is definitely making my life miserable.

I stretched the moment I got back home (about four to five minutes after the run) and had a bowl of rice and curd and a glass of banana milkshake. To be honest, the rest of my body is just fine. A bit battered but perfectly fine because I took in proteins and carbs and immediately fueled my body. But my knee? Well I was in pain for at least 3 hours after the run and right now my right knee feels brittle. I am off to physiotherapy when I am done with work and hopefully it sorts out.

I need a foam roller this very second! But other than that I am excited. I am going to cross train tomorrow and either Saturday or Sunday I am repeating another 11k. My goal for next Wednesday/Thursday is 13k and then the Chennai Half marathon. I want to log in at least two weeks of 15k next month before scaling up again. I want to do a couple of 19/20k runs before Kaveri and I sincerely hope my knee does not let me down.

Happy running! And there is no greater feeling than finishing a run and knowing you did your best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Bangalore, Karnataka, India
I am a human being based in Bangalore. I have worked for the New Indian Express and DNA and working in the communications industry. I love music, books, movies and TV shows . I LOVE to run. It's my passion and hobby. But it became a serious love only this year. And my list of priorities are - Arsenal football club and then breathing.