Sunday, June 16, 2013

Running a lot lately

Today was a good day. Actually it's been a good week. Even though I took a good two full days off and did zilch on Friday and Saturday, this week was really good. Because on Thursday I logged in 6.6k in 45 minutes. I started feeling pain at around 23 minute mark but it was really manageable. I was however in pain by the 35th minute. I however finished the run and never stopped to walk. I stretched in between but I could run.

But by the time I made it home, despite the stretching my right knee was in pain - manageable but very much existent. So I went to the gym where my physiotherapist stretched my right leg so badly that I was nearly crying at the end of it. But my leg felt so much lighter by the end of it! Not going to lie though that last stretch that he had me do (he lifted my leg up in the air and twisted my ankle outwards and pushed my leg further up), was pure agony and I actually screamed out loud.

But no pain no gain unfortunately and by the next day I was fine. But since I was living in the land of comic books and comic book movies, I ditched Friday AND Saturday. So this afternoon I felt really guilty. So I put on my running shoes and went out running. Here's this great thing I have recently discovered. There is a relatively straight road right outside my house and the road runs exactly 1.1km (actually it is little bit more but it's just a few extra metres). So when I do one round (which is running it back and forth) I complete 2.2kms. So I run 3 rounds today and came to 6.6km again. And the best part? My knee pain did not kick in until 30 minutes into the run and even then whenever I adjusted my feet, it went away! So I finished that run in 42.46 minutes and figured I might as well go for a run inside my apartment complex to round up to an even 7k. In the end I ended up doing 7.1km in 46.29 minutes. And I stretched and while I did experience that horrible pain shooting up my right knee, it was not excruciating like it usually is. And in about two hours it also went away!

I can definitely feel my leg getting better and stronger. By the end of this week, I am going in for 9k and now I know I can do it without causing myself too much pain. I really feel like I am going to do 21k come September. I am happy. We need to treasure the good days when they come along and really really appreciate them. I am off to stretch now again before sleeping and tomorrow is gym. Back to the grind and I would not have it any other way. Happy running!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Bangalore, Karnataka, India
I am a human being based in Bangalore. I have worked for the New Indian Express and DNA and working in the communications industry. I love music, books, movies and TV shows . I LOVE to run. It's my passion and hobby. But it became a serious love only this year. And my list of priorities are - Arsenal football club and then breathing.