Thursday, May 23, 2013

Setbacks and running injuries

I ran for 27 minutes today and covered a little more than 4k and then my familiar knee pain started acting up again. Went home and stretched long and hard and then iced my right upper thigh (the culprit). I know it sounds weird but I almost get angry with my left knee because it gets to enjoy a painfree life. Does that even make sense?

I swear as I was stretching today, the left leg was compliant and ready to loosen up its muscles and my right leg tingled and ached and I actually got mad at my left knee. Almost like it was an actual person who had betrayed its best friend. But the truth is I had betrayed my body last year by running through pain and running without stretching and in bad form. Now the recovery is slow, painful but hopefully will be take me to a better place.

In order to supplement the lack of running, I cycled for about 10 minutes hard on my stationary bike. I hate cycling cause it uses muscles that I rarely use during running but am going to have to suck it up to strengthen my knee muscles and unfortunately cycling gets you there.

I am most excited about starting gym from June 1st. I usually hate gyms but this one is different. For one it is run by a sports physician who helped me immensely through my own injury. For another, it does not have trainers but physiotherapists. So essentially it's a place where you are not just told to run on the treadmill but a place where they focus more on stretching and flexibility and strengthening the core. Until then am going to cycle, run maybe on Saturday and hopefully by then my legs get used to the harsh Bangalore pavements. Happy running everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Bangalore, Karnataka, India
I am a human being based in Bangalore. I have worked for the New Indian Express and DNA and working in the communications industry. I love music, books, movies and TV shows . I LOVE to run. It's my passion and hobby. But it became a serious love only this year. And my list of priorities are - Arsenal football club and then breathing.