Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Running goal 2013

Barring any major injuries I vow to the run the half marathon by the end of this year. Actually September to be exact. I have completed three 10ks this year, suffered a knee injury (twisted muscle that got wrongly diagnosed as knee bursitis) and am recovering now from that pain now and getting back to running. I want to run the full marathon either by 2014 or Jan 2015 (Mumbai Marathon here I come!) and hopefully I can.

So for now that's one of my main major goals. These are the things I have done so far to help with my running (I will be explaining many of my issues and my journey in subsequent blogposts but for now I am just laying down the bare facts).

1- Got myself running shorts. The only time I struggled was when I wore lose track pants and ran and I baked inside them and somehow ended up with more knee pain. So am letting my legs free.

2- Got myself brand new Nike kicks from the legendary Ryan's Sports Shop in Santa Clara last month. The shop deserves all the hype that surrounds it. It's amazing! (I live in India but went to Calif for vacation and quickly paid a visit to the shop and was not disappointed in the least!)

3- Am starting gym from June. This is a cool gym in Jayanagar called Attitude Prime run by Dr Gladson Johnson, a runner himself. I went to him for treatment for knee and he was a wizard. Through exercise I was able to run again and it's all thanks to him and since his gym trains runners, am going to running two to three times a week and gymming three times a week. Hopefully am able to keep up with the commitments.

4-Started running again. These days I can run 30 minutes with no pain and that's an achievement but I am so afraid of the pain that I keep expecting it at the turn of every minute. I am running 10k in the Chennai half marathon on July 7th and hopefully these issues resolve themselves by them.

5- Learning to run by putting weight on both my feet equally. It may sound dumb but that's literally the reason I ended up injured. Not kidding but I kept running putting more weight on the right knee and the mess happened.

So that's that. The shoes, the will and the urge to run are all ready. Now I just have to make it to September to run my first half marathon - 21k. The reason I am blogging about it is because I want to make it final. A proclamation on stone. Also hopefully also share tips for new runners along the way. People can learn from my mistakes, missteps and my journey hopefully.

P.S Most of the running gear I own belongs completely to Nike. I started running seriously because of the Nike running website that was hooked to my now defunct i-Pod nano. I LOVE Nike and trust it implicitly. In  the future I will also be blogging about cool running websites, books, gadgets, even documentaries I find. I love running and want to share my passion with the world and hopefully this dream of mine comes true. Happy running everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    All the best for your running goals for the year. I have also taken up running since last 2 years. I ran the half last year and gunning for the full this August. Wish you good luck and look forward to your training posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Good luck to you too! Am hoping to be ready by September....fingers crossed. Until then am trying to log in as many 10s as possible and in august a couple of 15s and 17s :)

      Delete

About Me

Bangalore, Karnataka, India
I am a human being based in Bangalore. I have worked for the New Indian Express and DNA and working in the communications industry. I love music, books, movies and TV shows . I LOVE to run. It's my passion and hobby. But it became a serious love only this year. And my list of priorities are - Arsenal football club and then breathing.