Wednesday, May 22, 2013

New shoe blues

I went on a three week vacation to California recently and only ran a few times and each time on the treadmill. Even though I slept really late last night, I have gotten up at 6am and have done some stretching and am planning on running on the pavement for about 30 minutes. I am focussing now more on my own form rather than pace or timining (although I want to do a crisp 5k in under 30 minutes but don't want to get ahead of myself).

Here's something that is eating at me - I just don't want to use my own brand new shoes! Not because I don't love them but because I love them too much. I don't want to wear them outside and wear them out for a long time. Really weird cause I love running in them but today am actually going to use my old Nike kicks (even though they are past expiry date) and am planning on slowly but surely start wearing my new lovely shoes for running too. The problem is I want them to last as long as humanly possible and that's where I am hitting the wall cause they are shoes and are meant for running! Has anyone else gotten super sentimental about running shoes or is it just me acting crazy?

Update: My doc has devised a series of long stretches that I ought to be doing before and after running. They usually run up to 10 to 12 minutes each time around. And I stretch again in the night. Making it over 30 minutes of stretching a day. Take my advice on this - no matter if it's a long run or a short run, always always stretch. It may sound blase but honestly it is what that will keep you alive for months and years ahead. A lot of new runners do not stretch or warm up and that's a problem cause they end up with knee problems sooner than later. My knee problem has lasted for months (it actually started sometime in December last year) and I am just climbing out of my well and this is one thing I refuse to stop doing. My muscles thank me for it everyday. Good luck running and if there is anyone out there who just loves their shoes way too much, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Bangalore, Karnataka, India
I am a human being based in Bangalore. I have worked for the New Indian Express and DNA and working in the communications industry. I love music, books, movies and TV shows . I LOVE to run. It's my passion and hobby. But it became a serious love only this year. And my list of priorities are - Arsenal football club and then breathing.