Tuesday, October 1, 2013

My running playlist

So while my post yesterday was not exactly a Debbie Downer (please refer to this particular blog post for epic one person pity party I threw myself a couple of months ago - The blues have hit me hard), I still feel like I put myself in a negative space by scaring myself. In fact last night I had a vivid dream about waking up with pain on my right knee. Suffice to say, I woke up freaked out but also determined to shake myself out of this panic that I created myself.

And that means, I spent a lot of my morning trying to figure out simple things I could control from now on till my run on Sunday. For instance, I will be having a nice pasta early dinner with my running friends the day before. I am going to the gym today and running tomorrow in the morning. That will be followed by a painful but totally necessary sports massage. Thursday is going to be my last day in the gym before my race. Friday I am going to hang out with my friend and Saturday I will be off in the train to do what I set out to do this year (no pressure see? lol).

Anyway, it has helped loads that I was able to organise my whole week. I have broken my days into small segments that I could easily tackle. And once I get to race day, I am hoping preparation and excitement will bring me (crawling I believe) to the finish line. This can be a great tip for runners (and people in general) who tend to panic before big events in life - just break into smaller moments that you know you can handle.

Another way I took control of my mind space? I spent a considerable amount of time coming up with a playlist that I will be listening to on the day of the run. Now I know a lot of runners believe in the run and don't even listen to music and in fact frown upon those who do. But I love music. I am more obsessed about music and books than I am about running (imagine if you could read a book and run and I would do just that). And I put a lot of importance to the song I'm listening to when I run. Now it may not be the greatest idea since you can't always rely on technology but it has worked for me so far and I love an excuse to slip away into music. I have a mix of trashy music and inspirational music to get me through any run and at times even a slow burner that you might not even think of as an ideal running song but it would get me through to the next kilometer.



Anyhoo...I thought it would be fun to share my top 10 songs from my running playlist (the familiar and the unconventional). If you find something that you like for your run that will make me very happy. So, here goes:

Arctic Monkeys Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High? This is a fun song with a great beat. And this song always puts me in the fun zone and I feel quite flirty by the end of it (that's saying something as I am generally in track pants sweating and panting and ready to curse the world).

A R RahmanGangsta Blues. Honestly if this song from Slumdog Millionaire does not get you pumped during a run, then am not sure what will. It's that good.

Steven CooperI can. This is a new addition to my playlist because I didn't even know this guy existed until a while ago. And I am not a fan of rap music. But this number isn't filled with a million insults and a beat. It's inspiring. With lyrics like - "If you fall, stand up. When you break, stand tough", is it any surprise that it pushes me?

Gnarls Barkley - Run. I have a big problem with this song - it's only 2 minutes and 45 seconds. But it is on top of my running playlist because no other song makes me want to run quite like this song. I once ran nearly an hour with just this song on repeat. And I did not get bored. At all. I wish the song went on for hours. I could probably finish two marathons before dinner (not possible but you get the point). Run for your life indeed.

Passion PitSleepyhead. Something about a fast and heady song about a sleepyhead during early morning runs is just what you need to wake up.

OutkastBombs over Baghdad. To this day I still have not figured out what the lyrics are but it has one relentlessly fast beat. And addictive to boot. I have always increased my speed and kept with the speed through the entirety of this song. It's that amazing.

RudimentalNot giving in. This song is not particularly fast but has a fun fun beat to it. And it's perfect for those last couple of kilometers in the run. Who wants to give in to their doubts when the chorus keeps going - "This time I'm going to be stronger, am not giving in"?

Doctor Who InstrumentalThis is Gallifrey, our childhood our home. Ok so you don't have to be a Doctor Who fan to get lost in this track. It's epic and beautiful and also melancholic at the same time. I feel like I am floating across the universe in a blue box when I hear it (ok so you may have to be a little bit of a fan to feel like that way). But I swear the track sees results.

The Royal Concept - On our way. We are young. We are one. Let's shine for all its worth. Yup. This song is quintessentially made for running.

Imagine dragons - Demons. Short song. Wonderfully deep lyrics. So when you feel like that today is the day you cut your run short, listen to this song. I promise you that you will forget why you were doubting yourself in the first place.

So, that's it. My top 10 running songs for now. What I love about them is that they are not insulting rap songs about - bitches and whores. They are not negative. They are fun. They carry wonderful messages. And they will get you to the finish line. Or so I hope.

Happy running!







1 comment:

About Me

Bangalore, Karnataka, India
I am a human being based in Bangalore. I have worked for the New Indian Express and DNA and working in the communications industry. I love music, books, movies and TV shows . I LOVE to run. It's my passion and hobby. But it became a serious love only this year. And my list of priorities are - Arsenal football club and then breathing.